Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS)

Local authorities may assist you in finding accommodation in the private market if you qualify for long term rent supplement and have a qualified housing need. The local authority will pay the landlord and you will pay a rent contribution to the local authority.

Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) is a social housing support introduced to cater for the accommodation needs of persons who are in receipt of long-term rent supplement.

Persons normally must be in receipt of rent supplement for a minimum period of 18 months and be assessed as having a long-term housing need.

Under the RAS scheme, private rented properties provide an additional source of good quality rental accommodation for eligible persons.

  • The Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) is a nationwide scheme for people who are receiving rent supplement for 18 months or more and who have a long-term housing need
  • Under RAS the Council enters into contractual arrangements with landlords to secure the medium to long-term availability of private rented accommodation
  • The Council pays the agreed monthly rent to the Landlord on behalf of the tenant
  • The tenant pays the Council a weekly income based rent
  • The landlord must meet requirements in relation to tax compliance, registration with the RTB, provide a Building Energy Rating (BER) certificate for the property which must meet minimum standards for private rented accommodation as determined by the Council on inspection

For more information on the scheme please email